Upton Park is adjacent to the Torquay Town Hall. It was created in the late 1920's on what had been little more than a public tip. The bowling green opened in May 1928 (there had been one in use from 1912 on a plot nearby). The first two hard tennis courts were completed at about the same time. In 1944, prior to D-Day, a US Army field-kitchen was set up there shortly and meals were served in huts and men sat in the open air to eat them. Later the troops went down to Torquay Harbour to embark onto the ships that would take them over to the Beaches of Normandy.
In the 1980s, part of the park was dug up to provide a 'holding tank' for the water which builds up during heavy rainstorms. The River Fleet, which has run through the Stoney and Upton valleys from time immemorial, still flows through a pipe below the ground.