Tessier Gardens are a small and delightful park situated between Babbacombe and St Marychurch. The collection of plants in the garden has just been enhanced with the redesign of the entrance area to the gardens. There is a fernery area, as well as a shady border just down from the top shelter.
In 1933 the gardens were gifted to the town by Mrs H A Tessier. A ‘Sun Temple’ was constructed later the same year in recognition of Mrs Tessier’s generosity. A scented garden for the blind was designed and planted in 1975 with the botanical names of the plants etched in Braille on copper plates.
In accordance with the covenants bestowed upon the council in 1933, children under the age of 18 are not permitted in the gardens.