King’s Gardens are adjacent to Abbey Meadows and are popular with children largely for the model-boating pond. These gardens gain attention as the first landscaped area seen as people drive towards the seafront area. In the evenings they are lit up with coloured spotlights and the Bowls Pavilion has lights around the exterior building, making the whole area look very attractive.
The gardens were opened in 1905 by the Mayor of Torquay. The next month the name was changed from Alexandra Gardens to The King’s Gardens.
Changes in levels in an area considered to have once been an estuary, resulted in a small park, dominated by two lakes fed by a spring rising in the Sherwell Valley.