The Gardens are located beyond Fishcombe Cove and have 14 acres of grass land. A walk around the headland reveals why it is called Battery Grounds. Although the Battery is now overgrown, it is protected under Section 1 of the National Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act of 1979.
The area is formerly a World War II Battery Point and the remnants of this are clearly visible amongst the trees and in the open spaces. This was the last of a long succession of Batteries since 1780. The presence of Battery Point gave rise to the other local place names, such as Fishcombe Point and what is now called Furzeham Green.
Several of the blast proof concrete-bunkered gun emplacements are still intact, however the 4.7 inch guns have long since been removed. Also still on the site is the shed once used by the people manning the area to meeting and prepare for the ‘Watches’.
As recently as the late 1990’s the boards depicting ‘Watch’ periods were still on the walls with faint trace of chalked names still visible in the gathering dust. More recently in January 2002, there was found in the deep undergrowth a sand-bagged gun emplacement, still completely intact, other than the gun. It was if time had stood still for the past 50 years.